Event Response Internship
Creating insights with the power to advance the world is a group effort. Only when every voice is heard are the best solutions brought to light. Join Moody’s and see what it means to move forward together.
Moody’s is a developmental culture where we value candidates who are willing to grow. So, if you are excited about this opportunity but don’t meet every single requirement, please apply! You may be a perfect fit for this role or other open roles. Moody’s is a global integrated risk assessment firm that empowers organizations to make better decisions.
At Moody’s, we’re taking action. We’re hiring diverse talent and providing underrepresented groups with equitable opportunities in their careers. We’re educating, empowering and elevating our people, and creating a workplace where each person can be their true selves, reach their full potential and thrive on every level. Learn more about our DE&I initiatives, employee development programs and view our annual DE&I Report at moodys.com/diversity
The Moody’s RMS Event Response team, based in London, sits within the company’s Model Development group as part of the Models and Data Business Unit. The team build custom solutions that, when executed, enable Moody’s RMS clients to quantify the impact of worldwide, real-time catastrophic events, including tropical cyclones, earthquakes, and floods.
The team works alongside model developers to adopt Moody’s RMS solutions for real-time applications and with model product managers to ensure that the needs of the insurance market are met.
Overview of role/responsibilities for the intern
- Support the team in monitoring and responding to global catastrophic events as they occur. This includes researching events, writing reports and assisting in the generation of real time catastrophe modeling products for Moody’s RMS software.
- Outside of real time events, to assist in furthering the team’s automation in real time deliverables including developing a code tool kit to generate visuals for a wide range of perils and use cases across event response and wider model development.
- Final deliverables will depend on the volume of work related to real-time events.
- Completing or completed a Master’s degree in a related subject (meteorology, geography, geoscience, mathematics, or similar).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A working knowledge of computer programming languages used in model development (examples include SQL, R, Python, and Fortran).
- Ability to work in fast paced, dynamic environment with flexibility of day-to-day tasks.
- Excellent time management and planning skills with a commitment to delivery.
- Driven and committed, demonstrating self-motivation as well as strong team working skills
- Critical thinking, problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with linux/unix environment
Nice to haves
- PH.D. (or equivalent) in a math or science-based background (meteorology, geography, geology, geoscience)
- Familiarity with Github
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or QGIS
Actual salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as candidate’s qualifications, skills, and competencies. The salary is one component of Moody’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards and benefits include the following: Medical, Personal Accident, Life Insurance and Time Off.
Moody’s is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates for Moody’s Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody’s Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.
Please note: STP categories are assigned by the hiring teams and are subject to change over the course of an employee’s tenure with Moody’s.