Tax Graduate Trainee Specialist Tax
Region: West Midlands
At Mazars we have a wide range of opportunities for you to gain experience in a firm that truly cares about your aspirations. Our business is an engine for rapid and consistent career progression, and we are known for giving ambitious people early responsibility and exposure.
Are you a graduate with strong analytical skills with a keen attention to detail? Are you a credible and effective communicator who has a commitment to learning? This is a great opportunity to join a team that specialises in providing specialist employment tax advice to clients within a wide range of industries.
About the role
You will be supporting the team on the delivery of high-quality services to clients. You will work with a broad range of clients, covering several sectors – including Public and Private Sector organisations. You’ll be helping organisations grow, mitigate and manage their risks more effectively, by helping enhance employee reward, reducing employer costs and putting more robust governance controls on key tax risk areas in place.
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
During your first two years you will
- Learn how to use tax software and systems
- Develop a thorough understanding of financial statements and the nature of the clients’ business
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
- Learn how to use the tax software and systems
- Develop a thorough understanding of the tax legislation and the nature of the client
By the end of your final year you will
- Work on a range of different advisory engagements across UK tax covering a range of technical areas
- Develop a strong technical knowledge of the UK tax legislation
- Coach and lead more junior team members on advisory engagements
- Understand the way in which different corporate entities operate across a range of sectors
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements
- Begin to manage advisory engagements, including planning, budgeting and project managing different service lines
- Develop a strong understanding of our control and risk management procedures
About the team
Overview of the Tax service line
At Mazars we’ll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
An introduction to our Employment tax team
The Employment Tax team provides advice and support to our clients in a wide variety of areas, working across Public and Private Sector organisations to help them answer questions on areas including:
- How should benefits and expenses like staff parties and company cars be treated for tax purposes?
- Can individuals be engaged off payroll and if they are, how can this risk be managed within the current legislative requirements?
- How can employee reward and net pay be maximised?
- How does employers manage National Minimum Wage compliance
- Working remotely – does this create tax issues and how can these be managed
- Did we calculate our furlough claims correctly and how do we review this?
- What happens if we identify an error and need to disclose to HMRC?
- How can we manage a HMRC investigation?
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our team who demonstrate the following:
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Teamwork; the ability to function and contribute effectively as part of a high achieving team.
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don’t always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed.?We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
Mazars & me: who are we?
Mazars is a leading international professional services firm delivering exceptional quality in audit, tax, financial advisory, outsourcing and consulting. It’s also a fun, fast-paced, positive place to work and make friends.
At Mazars, we celebrate individuality and thrive on teamwork. We give people the freedom to make a personal contribution to our shared purpose. We support one another to deliver quality, create change and make an impact. So that everyone can reach their full potential.
Every story is different at Mazars. Our people have amazing, personal experiences so the best way to learn about life here is to hear it first hand from them.
Learning and development
We offer a diverse range of experiences, with prestigious clients and dynamic projects across a range of sectors and geographies. We offer an excellent technical grounding and real responsibility from the start, with early exposure to clients and partners. We have a culture of coaching, feedback, mentorship and one-to-one support, so you will learn from working closely with accessible colleagues and leaders who have so much to share. Most importantly, we give our people the tools and support they need to define their own career path and realise their full potential. As part of your training, we offer the opportunity to gain a professional qualification whilst earning a competitive salary and gaining invaluable experience.
This includes funding, time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training. We will fund your study towards the combined ATT/CTA qualification.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. And you will be allocated a buddy who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
Inclusion and diversity
Being inclusive is core to our culture at Mazars; we want to ensure everyone, whether in the recruitment process or beyond, is fully supported to be their unique self and provided with a level playing field. To read more about our approach click here.
At Mazars, we are one diverse, multicultural, multi-generational team with a huge sense of connection and belonging. If you are looking to join a firm where you can take ownership of your career, get involved, believe in yourself and put your ideas into action, then we think you will be a great addition to our team.
Roles will be closed as soon as we find the right people, so to avoid disappointment we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
International applications – Having a valid right to work status in place prior to the commencement of our graduate programme is a mandatory prerequisite for employment with Mazars. We are happy to accept applications from non-UK nationals. However, there are specific restrictions and prerequisites that you should familiarize yourself with before applying, you can view these on our FAQ page. Please note that the deadline to apply for eligible international candidates who require visa sponsorship is 15th March 2024. Applications received after this date will not be progressed.