Graduate Civil Structural
Region: North West
Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access
to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world’s trusted
infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies
for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our
services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team
of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and
other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We’re one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
Due to the continued growth and expansion of our Nuclear Team in Westlakes Cumbria, we are looking to increase our technical workforce and are seeking to recruit a Graduate Civil-Structural Engineer.
We are looking for individuals who can apply their skills independently and to act as part of a team to deliver projects to the benefit of our Clients. Inherently the projects are multi-disciplinary and may be at any stage in the project life cycle. Our projects range from client consultancy support to complete turn-key solutions.
This is an exciting time for the Nuclear Team in Westlakes, with an interesting and expanding pipeline of both international and UK based projects.
The AECOM Nuclear Structures Team provide multi-disciplinary consultancy to the nuclear industry in both the nuclear new build and decommissioning sectors. In the new build sector, we are providing engineering support to the Developers of the UK’s fleet of new nuclear power stations. In the Decommissioning Sector, which requires considerable new build to enable decommissioning, AECOM provides support to the entire Nuclear Estate, including:
- Multidisciplinary design support at Sellafield
- Early-stage development of the Deep Geological Repository
- Design and development of waste storage and disposal facilities
- Multidisciplinary design support to defence projects
An example project is Sellafield Pile 1 Diffuser Demolition. The project scope was to demolish the Diffuser, a 1450 tonne Reinforced Concrete box section, at the top of the 110m high ventilation stack, located in the heart of a congested nuclear facility. AECOM played a significant role as the Lead Designer responsible for developing a safe demolition strategy for this contaminated structure, demonstrating stability at all stages and designing the associated civil and structural works, mechanical, electrical and process engineering, including the design of the 150m high tower crane, the tallest ever on the Sellafield site. The project challenged the Nuclear Industry’s traditional approach for labour intensive, low risk means of demolition, making use of the tower crane to cut and lift large blocks, arguing that the short term increase in risk would lead to a quicker permanent decrease. This unique demolition is currently on-going and will be a very visible demonstration of the work being done to make Sellafield a safer place.
Our Nuclar Civil-Structural Graduates are engaged in teams and work with experienced engineers who guide and mentor them during their time at AECOM. They work on live projects where their role will include:
- Preparing structural element designs in a variety of materials, mainly steel and concrete
- Undertaking analysis of structures
- Preparation of design documentation such as basis of design, design method statements, specifications
- Developing an understanding of highly regulated industries
- Developing an understanding of Safety Cases and the supporting documentation
- Developing an understanding of risk and the preparation of designer’s risk assessments
- Liaison with the project team, in particular with technicians that translate working designs into construction drawings
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We shall provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We shall push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
- BEng Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering
- MSc/MEng would be an advantage.
- A 2:1 (or equivalent) degree classification or above
- The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment and meet the requirements for Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS)
- Preferably completed modules related to structures and/or nuclear structures
- Ability to demonstrate a good technical understanding of Structural Engineering
- Demonstrable interest in Structural/Nuclear Engineering and developing a career in this industry
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders, and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback.
- Enthusiastic and hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole and independently without losing initiative and focus
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to continued education and improvement through participating in our approved training schemes.
- Able to carry out occasional remote working
- Work experience in the nuclear energy or related field (e.g. working for either a power developer, equipment manufacturer, or consultant)
- Some familiarity with CAD and ArcGIS would be beneficial.
- Driving license – some travel to site may be required with equipment.
- Student member of an appropriate professional institution
- Working ability in a second language and/or relevant work experience outside the UK
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible since CVs will be reviewed, and candidates selected on a rolling recruitment basis for an advanced offer start.
Please include a covering letter with your application and provide all predicted and/or obtained academic grades.
You must have permanent right to work in the UK as we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this position.
Due to the nature of our current projects, we will require the following information to obtain security clearance:
Nationality - if you are dual national we will need you to provide details
Length of time in the UK - if you have left the UK for more than 1 month in the last 3 years, where did you go and for how long.